Blog

Spotting and Removing Garden Mushrooms

0Comments
removing garden mushrooms

Imagine looking out at your beautiful garden or lawn in your backyard. The green grass, tall trees and colorful flowers or vegetable plants make for a pretty picture. You worked hard to make it look beautiful, and your plants are thriving. Then, however, you spot some unwelcome visitors that have cropped up: mushrooms!

Whether it be because mushrooms might be toxic to pets or they look visually displeasing, most people will want to remove these fungi. There are some easy ways of removing garden mushrooms in your yard, and can be done in just a few hours or less.

The Main Methods

1. Prevention: Ideal conditions for mushrooms to grow are damp, dark environments. If there is too much moisture and not enough sunlight, mushrooms can easily grow and invade your lawn or garden. To prevent this, make sure that your yard can get plenty of sunlight. To combat the moisture, make sure that your yard has an effective draining system and do not over water. Also, make sure there is no dead or decaying plant debris, as the mushrooms could be growing off of that.
2. Vinegar: Vinegar is a great option to use when making your own fungicide. In a spray bottle, add one part white vinegar to 4 parts water. Shake it up and spray directly on the mushrooms. Acetic acid is an active ingredient in vinegar and is very effective at removing garden mushrooms. However, be careful when using this method as this DIY fungicide can also kill your plants and grass. Make sure to only spray on mushrooms and avoid spraying on a windy day.
3. Fungicide: A ready-made fungicide could also work to kill off the mushrooms in your backyard, and they are available at most gardening and home improvement shops. Make sure to follow the directions carefully on the bottle.
4. Removing: Perhaps the easiest method, you can always just pick them with your hands or a tool to remove the mushrooms. If using your hands, make sure to use gardening gloves for your protection. Remember to remove the entire mushroom, including the root.

Consider This Before Removing Garden Mushrooms

Before getting rid of these fungi, know that they could be beneficial. If your lawn or garden has an excess amount of dead plant matter and debris, mushrooms could be cropping up to help clear that stuff out. They are especially good at degrading the dead plant matter in your garden, and can even be a warning sign that your lawn or garden has too much debris. They also distribute your lawn with nutrients in their process of breaking down the debris.

Different Types of Mushrooms

There are a few different types of mushrooms you could be seeing in your lawn. Some are harmless, and some are toxic:

Horse mushrooms: The caps of the mushrooms are white with a yellow tinge to it. They grow to be about 12 cm high and 3 cm wide. These mushrooms are not toxic.
Meadow Mushroom: The caps of these fungi are also white, but the gill, the inner side of the cap, is a dark brown color. These are also not toxic to you or your pets.
Death Angel: As the name suggests, these mushrooms are toxic. The caps and the gills are both white, so watch out for these ones.

Whatever your reason is for removing mushrooms from your lawn and garden, know that it can easily be done in a few hours or less with these simple tips. Remember to regularly check your yard for decaying plant matter or debris and make sure your yard gets plenty of sunlight to prevent fungi from invading your lawn.

Lawnscape has been serving Southern California since 1979. We service turf and ground cover areas, caring for both professionals and homeowners alike. Our fertilization, weed, insect and disease control services will ensure that the grass will always be greener on your lawn.

TwitterGoogle+FacebookPinterestLinkedInShare